top of page

July 2019 Minutes


July 18, 2019 at 10:00am

Lyon County Courthouse

430 Commercial St.

Emporia, KS 66801


  • Chris Esquibel, 29th (President), Tom Weishaar, 1st (Vice-President), Stephanie Springer, 27th (Membership / Nominations), Brad Schuh, 3rd (Legislative), Kelsey Cox, 27th (Public Relations), Ryan Duckers, 29th (Secretary), Brian Swenson 28th (Parliamentarian)


  • Reading/Review of the Minutes:

  • Chris Esquibel (29th), called the meeting to order.

  • Reading and review of June 2019 minutes.

  • Brad Schuh (3rd) moved to approve June 2019 minutes as corrected. Kelsey Cox (27th) seconded the motion. All in favor and motion approved.

  • Treasurer’s Report:

  • May 2019 Treasurer’s report submitted with an ending balance of $56,370.33.

  • Stephanie Springer (27th) moved to approve the Treasurer’s report as submitted. Ryan Duckers (29th) seconded the motion. All in favor and motion approved.


  • Training

  • Spence spoke with the speaker who presented at the Legislative update and may look into having him speak at a future conference.

  • The hotel representative at the Kansas Star Casino has changed and Chris has been in communication with them to make sure nothing has changed with the contract and to make sure they will meet with us at the September board meeting to finalize all details of the October conference.

  • Discussed conference give-a-ways for October conference. Brian will look into the cost of padded notebooks and have this information at the next board meeting.

  • Discussed having design contest for shirt or sweatshirt give-a-way for the 40th Anniversary conference.

  • Contract signed for the Spring 2022 conference at the Hilton Garden Inn in Manhattan, KS. They are working on securing overflow rooms at one of the hotels next to the Hilton.

  • Chris advised he received positive responses from Chiefs in other districts regarding offering CSO 101 training at future conferences. We agreed to move forward with this so that we can try to offer it at the Fall conference. Chris will send out the information he received regarding the new CSO training that was put on by OJA in the past as well as other responses he received so that we can try to put this together.

  • Site Selection

  • Upcoming Conferences:

  • Fall 2019 – October 16 - 18 Kansas Star Casino – Mulvane, KS – Contract

  • Spring 2020 – April 15 – 17 – Drury Inn – Wichita, KS - Contract

  • Fall 2020 – October 21 -23 – Prairie Band Casino - Mayetta, KS – Contract

  • Spring 2021 – May 19-21 – Hilton Garden Inn - Manhattan, KS - Contract

  • Fall 2021 – October 13-15 - Drury Inn – Wichita, KS – Contract

  • Spring 2022 – April 6-8 or 27-29th – Hilton Garden Inn – Manhattan, KS – pending

  • Fall 2022 – October 19-21 – Prairie Band Casino – Mayetta or Kansas Star Casino – Mulvane - pending

  • Legislative

  • Pay raises took effect on the last paycheck.

  • Work on SB367 audit continues to move forward.

  • Brad will be setting up a meeting with our Lobbyist in August or September to discuss what is going on and what things we want to work on for the upcoming legislative session.

  • Chris advised he will reach out to the lobbyist about being contacted by reporter from Wichita regarding evening reporting and juvenile incentive programs.

  • Justice Johnson announce he will be retiring in September.

  • Next Legislative meeting will be on 9/17/19 at 11:00.

Public Relations

  • Nothing new to report.

Membership and Nomination

  • Stephanie advised that we will be stuffing ballot envelopes for the upcoming Executive Board elections and requested that more envelopes and stamps be purchased for this.


  • Amber Smith was hired to replace Patricia Henshall as Deputy Judicial Administrator.


  • Chris advised that the hospitality room at the legislative update went well.

  • Members of the Board and the association attended the Probation and Parole week proclamation signing in Topeka and advised that this also went well. In short conversation with the Governor, she indicated that she would be trying to get more resources for us in the upcoming legislative session.


  • Chris will be sending out e-mail to the association regarding Probation and Parole week.

  • KDOC sent out survey to juvenile justice stakeholders.

  • Tom Weishaar (1st) made a request for training money from KACSO for the upcoming NE regional PSI round table and training with the Sentencing Commission on 8/20/19.

  • Stephanie Springer (27th) moved to approve up to $300 for the training. Kelsey Cox (27th) seconded the motion. All in favor and motion approved.


  • Nothing new to report.


  • No bills for this month as Treasurer is not present.


  • Preliminary version of update to standing rules was sent out to board members. Agreed to review and vote on approval of the updates and the next board meeting in August.


  • The next meeting with be on Thursday August 15th, 2019 at 10:00 am in Emporia.


  • Kelsey Cox (27th) moved to adjourn and Brian Swenson (28th) seconded the motion. All in favor and meeting adjourned.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
bottom of page